sabato 25 aprile 2009

Style Guides

As far as a comparison between MLA and APA is concerned, I decided to compare books, online newspapers and movies because these are the sources I used to write my BA thesis. I wanted to check if I used a proper quotation style and I discovered that it was not correct and that I should have been preciser. I had difficulties because I didn't know if there was a proper style to list movies in the final references and now I know how to do it correctly.
Analysing these style guides I realized that I made mistakes in the way I cited online newspaper articles: in the final reference list I wrote the entire URL, on the contrary it is necessary to cite the article in the same way you cite a book (author, date, title of the article and of the newspaper, when the article was retrivered).
I think that good and precise references add professionality to a thesis, so it is necessary to write them correctly!
These style guides provided me useful instruments to erase any doubts and avoid mistakes in the future!

BOOKS

According to the style guides provided, both APA and MLA put the author's name at the beginning and the location of the publisher at the end. The difference between them is the style of the title ( title for APA and title underlined for MLA) and the year of publication (APA puts it after the suthor'd name, MLA at the end).

ONLINE NEWSPAPER ARTICLES

In this case the style guide provided by APA is simpler and shorter; the order is: author's name, (yeasr, month date). Title of the article. Title of the newspaper. Retrived from (URL). The style of the MLA guide is longer and more complex: author's name. "Title of the article". Title of the newspaper (underlined) day month year, edition.Day month year of access (URL).

MOVIES

The MLA style guide requires the title (underlined) at the beginning, then the director's name, the performers' names, the distributor and the date. The APA style guide cites the movie references in the same way it cites written resources: firstly the producers' and director's names, then the date in brachets, the title of the movie, the country and the distributor. After the title of the movie it is necessary to specify the type of movie, for example [motion picture].

3 commenti:

  1. Hi Anna,
    this post is really interesting! What I like about it, is that you compared three different resources using the same style guide, hence you managed to consider different ways of communication. Moreover, I like the fact that you included movies too, as I am fond of them and think it would be interesting to dwell on the way the layout of a movie or a dvd is made to influence the audience.
    On the other side, unfortunately, I don't agree with you about the way an online article should be cited. Infact, as I said in my blog, I did a BA thesis based on online newspapers' articles, so I had to do a long research and then include the articles in my final work. My problem was about citing and how to cite the articles, and I managed it by stating the exact URL and and also the specific references. I did it because I think that paper-based books and online resources should be treated in two different ways, given that they are two different tools: an online resource is easily accessible to anyone, you only need to now where (url) you can find it. On the other side, a book is not always available; doing a web research one can find the library where the book is, but also a part of the book, but books are rarely entirely online. So, I think that when citing an online resource, one should put the name of the author, the title of the article, its date and then also the name of the web and the URL.


    Now, as far as your English is concerned, I don't have many things to point out, but I would like you to notice some little things you should find useful (well, you know, we are all in the same boat!):

    - "preciser", I would not use too many "-er", especially if they sound quite elaborated and not spontaneous. Maybe "more precise" is a bit more common.

    -"I wanted to check if I used a proper quotation style and I discovered that it was not correct and that I should have been preciser. I had difficulties because I didn't know if there was a proper style to list movies in the final references and now I know how to do it correctly." What I understand is that you made a BA thesis using various online resources, that you used this e-tivity to check if you did a good job with quotations and that you discovered you made some mistakes with movies' quotations.
    At this point, I woud suggest you to use a linking word or a conjunction like "infact", "indeed" or also "as a matter of fact" between the two sentences, that is to introduce the last sentence about the movies. I think that in this way, the whole paragraph would sound more fluent.

    -"I made mistakes", use an article or a modifier, the zero article practice is used only for indefinite plural, and here the mistakes are defined in the following sentence, where you explain what kind of mistakes you made.

    -Do the same with "good and precise references".

    -"According to the style guides provided, both APA and MLA put the author's name at the beginning and the location of the publisher at the end." You should say at the beginning and at the end of what? The place is missing here.

    -"yeasr" instead of "years"

    -"In this case the style guide provided by APA is simpler and shorter; the order is: author's name, (yeasr, month date). Title of the article. Title of the newspaper. Retrived from (URL). The style of the MLA guide is longer and more complex: author's name. "Title of the article". Title of the newspaper (underlined) day month year, edition.Day month year of access (URL)."
    Here there is a unclear use of commas and dots. It is difficult to understand if you are listing the elements, reporting a list, or simply using dots instead of commas.
    Maybe it is the last of the three possibilities, so you should read this passage again, and then try to be a little more clear! ;-)

    -The post doesn't have a clear ending sentence. It is well organized and interesting, but it would need an ending sentece to sum up the main concepts, or also to state your opinion.

    This is all for now, I hope to see you in class soon,
    bye!
    S.

    RispondiElimina
  2. Hi Sarah!!
    How are you? Thanks a lot for your corrections and advices: they are very detailed!
    As far as online newspaper article are concerned, thanks for your clarification because I had doubts about it!
    Well, I see that writing bolg posts is difficlt and I realize that I need to concentrate more when I write...distraction has always been the main cause of my mistakes!
    Yes, I perfectly agree with you that the post lacks of a conclusion...I think that it is possible to correct it and add a good conclusion. In the same way I need to clarify my list because I see that it is quite confusing...

    Thank you very much Sarah!

    See you in class, then!
    Bye Anna

    RispondiElimina
  3. Hi Anna!
    I'm Elisa De Polo! I'm sorry but I realized we are in the same group only last week! I didn't know it! So from now on you will have an extra-respond on your blog!
    This is my url http://puccainwonderland.blogspot.com/
    See you soon!
    Elisa

    RispondiElimina