mercoledì 22 aprile 2009

How to avoid plagiarism?

Hi everybody!
I would like to tell you that I appreciated a lot the fact that we discussed the problem of plagiarism in class. I think that it is a serious problem and it is necessary for us to understand how it is possible to avoid it. Maybe someone of us will try the academic career after their bachelor's degree and this implies writing and publishing papers as well. So, it is time to learn how to manage this "dangerous" topic!

As far as plagiarism on blogs is concerned, I haven't found useful and reliable material on the net. Maybe some of you can help me: have you done interesting discoveries? Would you like to share them with me, please?

My blogging experience is recent, so I don't know the blogging environment
very well and I'm not particularly confident of the information I find. Anyway, I think that plagiarism exsists on blogs as well, as I discovered by googling "regulating plagiarism in everyday blogging practices"; I red a blog posted by a boy who complained that someone else copied pictures and ideas from his blog.
My personal impression is that it seems difficult to regulate plagiarism on blogs, although necessary. The difficulty lies in the fact that blogs are considerd, and are, a personal space and so they are not very reliable and worthy of a legal regulation.
What do you think about it?? If you are good and experienced bloggers, would you give me some advices? In your opinion are my considerations wrong?

Thanks!!

2 commenti:

  1. Hi Anna,
    How are you? Hope you're doing well! I read your post and I agree with what you said about plagiarism on blogs: it really does exists and it is quite difficult to avoid it. Anyway,a blog is a personal page where a person can feel free to talk about what he/she wants and sometimes it happens that some ideas are retrieved from other blogs or from another webpage. As I said in my post on ipr, drawing for inspiration from other sources is not bad at all, but it should be done according to one's conscience. In this case referencing and in-text citations can do help us! So far as blogs are concerned,I think that we don't need further external control, we bloggers can be enough mature to behave ourselves properly!
    And now, a little bit of grammar! Maybe I'm not the right person to give a grammatical feedback (I'm still doing silly errors even a child wouldn't do!), but I'm trying all the same:-)!
    In the first paragraph you say "Maybe someone of us will try the academic career..". Here I would use "some" instead of "someone":they both are pronouns, but the former is used for unspecified amounts or numbers, while the latter is just used to talk about unspecified persons. Then you used "will" and here I really don't know if it's right or not! I use it too, though it is preferable to use the construction "to be going to". In the next paragraph you said:"I haven't found useful and reliable material on the net"; here I’d suggest you to use the simple past. Going further in reading I found the word “recent”. I’m not sure about it, but I think it only works as a pre modifier, E.g. “in recent years..to be a recent graduate” and so on. I’d use instead “I’m a recent blogger” or better, “I haven’t so much experience with blogs”. Then you did two typing mistakes: exsists instead of exists and red instead of read (I guess you were tired or in a hurry;-)!).
    Well, this is what I found reading your post! It is a good, well structured post and don't worry for the mistakes,they are not serious mistakes, just a few inattentions! We're all here to learn from each other's mistakes, right? Well, we're off to a good start!
    See you soon
    Anna

    RispondiElimina
  2. Hi Anna!!
    Thank you very much for your advices and corrections!
    See you tomorrow,
    Anna

    RispondiElimina