domenica 5 aprile 2009

Evaluating online sources

Today we did a very interesting and useful activity in class: we discussed how it is possible to evaluate the trustfulness of online information sources; we went through guides and advices published online by the Unversity of Essex, San Diego and the OWL and eventually drew our personal list of criteria we need to follow when searching information on the net. I found these guides very useful because they helped me to clarify some doubts about online sources; when I search some pieces of information on the net I am always a bit confused because I don't have precise criteria to evaluate these sources as trustful or not. Moreover, I appreciated this activity at best because it will help me researching materials and information for my thesis. The tipps I preferred were those given by the Essex University:
because they were presented and organised in a more practical way.
Another stimulating discovery was Google Scholar: a very good instrument to search academic articles and papers; I also learned how to save my bookmarks in delicious: absolutely wonderful!! I made a research using Google Bolg and I found out very interesting and trustful blogs like this one:
full of materials and links.
Nodoublty I am very satisfied with all these new instruments I am learning to use, which will provide me with a wider competence for an efficent use of the net as well as materials and sources for my thesis!

2 commenti:

  1. Hi Anna,
    I agree with you when you say that you get confused when dealing with online sources. Now we have some criteria that will help us understand what is reliable and what is not. If we learn to use the web properly, then we will have a lot of valuable resources at our disposal for our dissertation. For instance online journals: I think they are a great source for finding academic articles, which I think are probably more useful than books when you have to write a dissertation.
    As for your English, I didn't find any mistake, except 'tipps': only one 'p' ;-)

    See you soon!

    Francesca

    RispondiElimina
  2. Hi!
    I must confess that I prefer the San Diego University site more than the one of the University of Essex, even if they are all useful.
    However, I like your link to the blog about the PLE and find your English clear and precise!
    So, see you next week and
    Happy Easter! :-)

    RispondiElimina